Modern Day Magi

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14............. Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. - Acts 17:11

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Twice mine.

A young boy once built a small sailboat. He spent weeks carefully carving the hull, tying the rigging, sewing the sails and the painting it all. Once complete this sailboat was the best sailboat the little boy had ever seen, it was beautiful, it was his.
Every day after school the young boy would take the sailboat down to the creek and sail it for until the sun went down. One day however, after some rain, the current was much stronger that usual and the young boy could not keep up with his sailboat and it got lost.
Every day after that the young boy would walk down the creek hopeing to find his lost sailboat. After a few weeks the young boy had walked further than he had ever gone and around a bend in the creek he came to a small swimming hole with a small sailboat in the centre. It was scatched and the sail was a little torn, but it was his sailboat, found at last.
Just as he was about to reach for his sailboat another boy appeared and shouted "Get away from that. It's mine!"
"But it isn't yours, it's mine. I made it."
"I found it so it's mine!" cried the second boy.
"Let me buy it back then?" pleaded the maker of the little sailboat.
"How much do you have?"
"Promise to come back here tomorrow, and I'll show you." With that the young boy ran home as fast as he could.
He gathered all his toys, his comics, and marbles, his soccerball and boots, even his most prized pocket knife and bundled them all into a backpack.
When the next afternoon came around the young boy took up his backpack of treasures and ran of to the small swimming hole. There waiting was his sailboat, in the hand of the other boy.
The young boy put his backpack on the ground and opened it, allowing the other boy to see all that was inside. The other boys eyes lit up for a moment and then a very serious look came over his face.
"How much of that can I have for the sailboat?" he asked.
"I will give you everything." was the young boy's reply.
The deal was done.
The boy took his boat started home and said,"Little boat, I love you even more now. You are twice mine. Once because I made you, but then you were lost to me, and now I have bought you."

This is a picture of what Christ has done for us. As our Creator, He made us and owned us, but by our rebellion we we lost to Him because of our sin. It took Jesus' death—an unbelievable price—to buy us back. Thus, those who are His children are twice owned.
We do not belong to ourselves; we have been bought with a price. That price was the blood of Christ. Rejoice at the willingness of Jesus to buy us back.

4 Comments:

  • At 3/16/2006 12:17:00 am, Blogger Correy said…

    Nice analogy. Now that the boat has returned I hope it has been turned into a real boat with an eperb so that other devil boy doesn't get it again ... jokes

     
  • At 3/16/2006 02:28:00 pm, Blogger TheDen said…

    Hey MDM,

    Nice post. It's amazing the amount of God's infinite love for us. Very humbling. Thanks also for the comments on my post.

     
  • At 3/16/2006 06:35:00 pm, Blogger Modern Day Magi said…

    I should probably reference that this was a story i read at work and not my own creation. I cant remember the author and it is horribly paraphrased though.

     
  • At 10/02/2009 08:59:00 am, Anonymous April Jones Ü said…

    I remember growing up hearing my mom tell that story in Children's Church and she had a little folder of pictures to go with it. Instead of publishing it into a bound book, it was part of a series called "Living Stories" and each one had a sheet with the story written down in small font and references to when to hold up each picture. My mom still has hers and as a matter of fact, I asked her to tell it at a Christian School I was teaching at a couple of years ago. A quick search of the title "Little Boat Twice Owned" will bring up places where you can purchase them. This site, http://www.childrensbibleclub.com/livingstories/littleboat.htm has them brand new for only $4 a piece. Or you can purchase the entire LIVING STORIES collection for 10% off. Sometimes the classics are the best! The kids at my school (ages JK-5th grade) LOVED it and that was just two years ago. It's timeless! I'm thinking of buying the entire collection for myself (although I'm sure I can talk my mom into bequething it to me - I just don't think I want to wait until she's gone! Ü).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home